My massi Bina used to make this dish and she gave me the recipe which I use when I find lamb meatballs in my freezer! Defrost the meatballs as per the instruction and get cooking!
12 meats balls (Store bought and in case frozen to be defrosted as per instructions before hand.
1 large white onion, chopped finely ⠀
1 tin of chopped tomatoes/ 4 fresh tomatoes, blend into a puree ⠀
1 fresh green chilli, chopped (optional) ⠀
1 tablespoon of ginger and garlic paste (You can use a store bought paste or make your own coarse paste by peeling and chopping and crushing 4 garlic cloves and less than half an inch of root ginger) ⠀
Handful of fresh coriander leaves to garnish ⠀
Salt as per taste⠀
3 tablespoon of vegetable oil ⠀
1 inch cinnamon stick ⠀
4 cloves ⠀
4 green cardamoms, cracked open⠀
1 brown cardamom ⠀
1 teaspoon cumin seeds⠀
½ teaspoon turmeric powder ⠀
1 teaspoon Kashmiri Mirch red chilli powder⠀
1 teaspoon black pepper powder⠀
1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves ⠀
1 teaspoon Garam masala ⠀
• Cook the meatballs as per instructions and keep aside.
• while the meatballs are frying and being cooked in an oven, in another non-stock pan or pot, add the oil on medium heat and once it is hot, as the whole spices and cumin seeds.
• Cook for a minute or until fragrant, then add the onions. ⠀
• Cook until dark golden brown which can take up to 15 minutes on medium to high heat
• Reduce the heat and add the ginger and garlic paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.⠀
• Reduce the heat to minimum and add the powdered spices(don’t add garam masala yet).You can fry the spices for a minute or more and add a tablespoon of water to prevent it from burning. ⠀
• Add the tomato puree , salt and green chilli and cook until paste-like and oil leaves the surface of the pan, and this can take up to 10 minutes.
• Add half cup of water and mix well. ⠀
• Add the fried meatballs. ⠀
• Cover, lower the flame and cook for 7-8 minutes. Mix well occasionally. ⠀
• Switch off the burner. Add coriander and garam masala. ⠀
Enjoy these hot with cumin rice or steamed rice. I have the recipe of cumin recipe in the chapter – Condiments and accompaniments
Note: This is a medium spicy dish and you can make it lesser spicy by reducing the Kashmiri Mirch powder, the black pepper powder and omitting the green chilli.